12 Aug 2007, 10:58 PM

Tags: , , , ,

Apple The missing tilde

Bug report

Problem ID: 5400784

Summary: TILDE and GRAVE ACCENT missing from Romanian keyboard of MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.4 GHz.

TILDE and GRAVE ACCENT not engraved on Romanian keyboard of MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.4 GHz — Cristian Kit Paul, 2007.

Expected Results: On TILDE key three signs should be present. On the left side should be engraved "`" GRAVE ACCENT and below "~" TILDE. On the right side Romanian letter "Î" LATIN LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX should be engraved.

Actual Results: On TILDE key is present only the Romanian letter "Î" LATIN LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX engraved in the center. No "~" TILDE nor "`" GRAVE ACCENT, were engraved.

Notes: The other keys containing Romanian letters are engraved correctly:

Ă key contains "[" and "{" correctly, Â key contains "]" and "}" correctly, Ț key contains "\" and "|" correctly — Cristian Kit Paul, 2007.

"Ă" key contains "[" LEFT SQUARE BRACKET and "{" LEFT CURLY BRACKET correctly, "Â" key contains "]" RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET and "}" RIGHT CURLY BRACKET correctly, "Ț" key contains "\" REVERSE SOLIDUS and "|" VERTICAL LINE correctly.

Ș key contains "§" and "±" correctly — Cristian Kit Paul, 2007.

"Ș" key contains "§" SECTION SIGN and "±" PLUS-MINUS SIGN correctly.

The error is limited to the TILDE key. I'm not sure it is limited to the MacBook Pro, though.

Comments

13 Aug 2007, 3:33 PM

Stefan Romanu:

While not wanting to be malicious (it's not in my nature, really ;)), I can't help myself but notice the situational humor, that arises from the fact that a post, meant to be a bug report, has its pictures missing.
Had a good laugh. Thank you Kit. :)

13 Aug 2007, 4:04 PM

You are right, the image remained on the private preview server. Sorry about the bug regarding the bug!

16 Aug 2007, 10:51 PM

bogdan:

Macboo? Is this a subtle hint?

16 Aug 2007, 11:17 PM

Thank you, Bogdan (I'll correct the typo) — damn, what a tormented post. And yes, you can take it as a hint: not a single Romanian keyboard in the company — not one! — has the tilda key marked correctly! I'm really disappointed. :(

I'll take pictures and append to the post.

17 Aug 2007, 1:36 PM

Stefan Romanu:

Btw ... since when do Romanian keyboards ship with apple notebooks?
Pretty cool.

21 Oct 2008, 9:04 AM

seo tae wong:

± and §, ` can be used for alt + v, ~ can be used for alt + p.