9 Sep 2007, 1:01 AM

Tags: ,

Personal Intermezzo

The slow ASCII

What do you write about when you're not in the mood for writing? And, as you probably noticed already, I'm not in the mood and I haven't been posting much text for a while now. Don't know exactly why, but it has to do with a couple of (huge and complicated) ongoing projects at Brandient — and fighting the urge of posting irrelevant junk (like this post) for compulsion's sake .

So I post photos — I hope you don't mind. If you do mind, well, please leave a note and I'll move the entire Photography topic out of the homepage, to a blog of its own, like Notes or Articles.

The Japanese

Speaking of photos, I spend my nights lately searching for pearls in the big pond of mud called Flickr1, where I'm closely following around 80 photographers and a lot of thematic groups.

I'm really drawn toward Asian photographers using film cameras — their serenity, perfect compositions and bokeh (from the Japanese boke ぼけ, "blur") aesthetic philosophy. And I found quite a few of them. Let me give you a few hints and you'll see what I'm talking about:

That's it for now, five of them — more to come. I hope you'll kick back a minute and get into the proper mood to enjoy these beauties.

The masthead

Photography is great and an image is worth a thousand words — a thousand totally irrelevant words, sometimes. This is why I killed the photo masthead and switched from this:

Kitblog photo masthead, Cristian -Kit- Paul, 2007

to this:

Kitblog info masthead, Cristian -Kit- Paul, 2007

It uses the same screen real estate, only wiser. Hopefully.

1 No, this doesn't mean changing my mind about digital proletarianism — I still believe that only elite makes the Internet a great place — and the elite photographers is what I'm looking for on Flickr.

Comments

11 Sep 2007, 2:43 AM

iancu:

Beeing addicted to images rather than text, it's a little painful now for me to open your blog and be harrassed visually by the multitude of tags from the new header. I miss the black and white photos, they really did tell "1000 thousand words" stories, even if the new header is a lot more functional. But I thought "function over form" was left behind some time ago, wasn't it ? :P

In my op, if people really want something found, they'll find it eventually. But till then, why not let them enjoy the view ? After all, how often do we stop nowadays just to look at something with different eyes ?

Best regards :)

11 Sep 2007, 3:10 AM

Hopefully posting more photos will compensate for the missing masthead. If not, it's just a few clicks away.

17 Sep 2007, 10:06 PM

chirica:

thank you thank you thank you for the Toshihiro Oshima link.

17 Sep 2007, 10:43 PM

I'm glad you like it glad you like it glad you like that link. I guess it's my favorite, too.

25 Sep 2007, 1:05 PM

Rox:

I've never ventured on Flickr before, because I thought there were only the family-and-friends types of photos. Thank you for the links.
Another place where I've found great photography is DeviantArt's photography section. It might take a while to find them, but some of them are really worth the search.

25 Sep 2007, 6:59 PM

There are good things on Flickr, serious photographers and great work. And tons of awfully trivial and boring things, of course.