10 Mar 2008, 1:57 PM

Tags: , ,

Romania Closer

Love is all we need, Cristian -Kit- Paul, Bucharest, 2008.

Please, give those architects some credit here—bringing people closer is a great, beautiful thing.

Comments

10 Mar 2008, 2:29 PM

felipov:

And where is this architecture beauty?
I have to go there and see it for myself.

10 Mar 2008, 2:39 PM

Near Lahovari Plaza here in Bucharest, right across the street from that derelict Flamingo Klingon fortress. Please do visit, it's truly a rarity.

10 Mar 2008, 3:50 PM

felipov:

I'm so curious which one was the first?

10 Mar 2008, 4:08 PM

I'd say the four-story building was the first, but I'm only guessing.

11 Mar 2008, 3:29 AM

iancu:

I'd put my money on the four-story being first as well :) The '80s brought many abominations like this one here, some of them engulfing old churches (lucky them for not being buldozed) or historic houses.

I wonder what the ones that built these things were discussing during the construction :))

30 Mar 2008, 7:48 PM

Avasilcai Daniel:

"dupa blocurile gri" i think the expression came from here.
It's better to live in some village in an old house.

14 Apr 2008, 2:10 PM

Darius:

Very funny :))

NOT. We live in Romania and that wastes all of our the time!

6 Aug 2008, 4:36 PM

gulbin:

no credit for thouse architects!

this is what I want you to say for along time ago: pls shoot the beautiful old houses from B - when you have time - and post them.

6 Aug 2008, 6:41 PM

Oh, I would like that, too, but that's far from easy!

Actually it's quite specialized and time-consuming. For many reasons.

Here are a few:
time—a good picture can be taken at certain time of the day (think magic hour, but not only), when the light compliments the house, and that involves a lot of scouting;
cars—damn!, one cannot snap a picture of Bucharest without a bunch of cars parked everywhere;
equipment—tilt and shift lens for correcting perspective;
paranoia—last but not least, try photographing houses that were only recently (and usually after painful legal proceedings) retroceded, or are still owned by illegitimate owners or landlords expecting to be sued and you'll get angry people ready to vociferate about a camera pointed at their house. If you don't live here you may not be aware about all this, but it's a pretty sore spot. I might write about that in another post, it's an interesting subject.

14 Aug 2008, 10:21 PM

Gulbin:

may be if you shoot them a litlle bit relaxed, like in a holliday mood, early in the morning or late in the night - as you did, as far as I saw from your portofolio - it will be easier. I'll join you if you please, rewarding you on a break with home made sandwiches and coffee from my "former" geologyst bag :-).
yes, I live here, in s4.