20 Nov 2009, 9:47 PM

Tags: , , ,

Romania Decât o Revistă

Decât o Revistă magazine, cover, Bucharest 2009.

Decât o Revistă, cover.

From the launch of Omagiu Magazine in 2005 (noted here) nothing cool happened in the Romanian printed magazine landscape.

Until this month, that is, when Decât o Revistă (loosely translates as Just a Magazine although it fails to convey the sense of irony) hit the streets after a masterfully conducted teasing campaign mainly via social media (follow @decatorevista on Twitter or befriend it on Facebook) but not only — see the viral video about Apropo TV's T-shirts.

What sets this magazine apart is its voluntarism.

What sets this magazine apart is its voluntarism: all content was created pro bono by a core team of five people — Cristian Lupșa, Raymond Bobar, Lavinia Gliga, Gabriel Dobre and Sebastian Ispas — together with over 40 contributors, including my Brandient colleagues Bogdan Dumitrache, Eugen Erhan, Iancu Barbărasă and Ciprian Bădălan, as well as high-profile photographers Cosmin Bumbuț, Alex Gâlmeanu, Andrei Pungovschi and radio star Răzvan Exarhu.

Coperta contează (The cover matters) article featuring my brandient colleagues my Brandient colleagues Bogdan Dumitrache, Iancu Barbărasă and Ciprian Bădălan, Bucharest, 2009.

"The cover matters" article featuring artwork by my fellow Brandient designers Bogdan Dumitrache, Iancu Barbărasă and Ciprian Bădălan.

The editorial team's intentions with Decât o Revistă project were well documented by Cristian Lupșa on his blog: quality journalism, convincing visuals, sincerity, dialogue, accomplishing more with less, testing the market, having fun. All checked, I'd say.

Raymond Bobar (Omagiu Magazine, Romanian Esquire, Romanian Men’s Health) signs the magazine's art direction and his work is excellent. For a detailed look into the design process head to his blog.

Decât o Revistă, Lavinia Gliga's article on Romanian diacritics, Bucharest 2009.

Lavinia Gliga's 10-page article on Romanian diacritics.

I am happy to note that DoR's pièce de résistance is Lavinia Gliga's 10-page — outstandingly researched — article on diacritics wherein I'm quoted for my look into Romanian diacritic marks. Thank you, Lavinia.

Just perfect. Give me more.

Update: Yes, the project will continue. Godspeed.

Comments

23 Nov 2009, 4:30 PM

iancu:

Judging by the 500+ people cramming into the small Control club, eagerly waiting to get one magazine (free — romanians just loove freebies) on the day of the official launch, I hope this magazine has some market. Not big enough to make it profitabile, but hopefully, enough to make it at least self-sustainable. It would be nice to have it as a periodical — 3 or 4 times a year would be great.

Making it a webzine would be the better option,imo. Print (daily newspapers, monthly mags, to be more precise) is dying, slowly but without a doubt. Exceptions only confirm the obvious.

23 Nov 2009, 8:28 PM

Exceptions, yes — DoR deserves to be one. It already is in many other regards.

29 Dec 2010, 4:47 PM

Crew:

One mention: Raymond Bobar didn't sign the Art direction on Omagiu. Please correct your phrase "Raymond Bobar (Omagiu Magazine, Romanian Esquire, Romanian Men’s Health) signs the magazine's art direction and his work is excellent." Omagiu was first artdirected by Milos Jovanovic, succeeded by Alexandru Iacob "Sasha" and finally Mihaela Popa "MihaMiha".

29 Dec 2010, 5:17 PM

To Omagiu crew: Note edited as per request, Omagiu Magazine crossed out.

29 Dec 2010, 8:22 PM

Omagiu Crew:

13 Jan 2012, 7:01 PM

Raymond Bobar:

First of all, thanks for the nice words, Kit.

For Omagiu Crew: I didn't sign the Art Direction for Omagiu, I was just designing a part of it and tweaking the layout overall. In the Colophone I was listed as additional designer, which was far less than what I did. So we don't have to radically separate me from Omagiu, in the end I was the one who did set margins and the baseline grid, chose the paper and made the page sequence accordingly to the final sections sewn that bound together the mag. It wasn't little work, typography, paper and binding is solid knowledge. So the phrase above was correct, I worked for Omagiu, check the print and/or ask the Editor in Chief.