6 Oct 2011, 12:18 PM

Tags: , , , , ,

Personal Stay foolish

Stay foolish, © Cristian -Kit- Paul, Bucharest, 2009.

Monte Carlo. © Cristian ·Kit· Paul. Click here or on the image to enlarge.

I don't have many heroes in my adult life. I find it hard to aspire to or identify with whatever guidance artists have to offer, save for some rather rare moments of blinding insight. And, unfortunately, I have close to zero affinity with sports people.

Except the one-of-a-kind friend I started a company with, Steve Jobs was the only relevant figure capable to directly inspire my work and deepen my vision, day in, day out.

And Steve is gone now.

There are two of his sayings I'm thinking about the most. The first one I find useful every single day—"real artists ship"—talking is irrelevant, only doing matters. As a coincidence, I learned about his passing last night, while working feverishly until the light of dawn.

The second one—"stay hungry, stay foolish"—I am trying to learn, yet I'm mostly failing—it's so fucking hard to stay young, keep your heart vulnerably alive and cling to that state of graceful emergency. I promise I'll try harder, Steve.

Comments

6 Oct 2011, 12:32 PM

Adinel:

Maybe some gems were aid by him when he was just a spectator...

6 Oct 2011, 8:49 PM

A:

Beautiful. I understand what you mean about being unable to find inspiration in artists and sports people. Few people are intelligent enough to admire and charismatic enough follow. Steve was both. Sadness is the only way in which you can probably express the amount of admiration felt towards his work.

We all knew it was coming but didn't want to think of it. It's still very sad to think we'll never hear him say 'And one more thing' ever again.

Or...as we say around here...what a legend.

6 Oct 2011, 10:57 PM

No more things.

8 Oct 2011, 4:46 PM

zuza:

When I went online after Steve's passing, the first thing I thought about was: this must hit Kit pretty hard. You were the first to talk to me about Steve's genius at Scoala de Comunicare Orange and it was quite inspiring. Not by mistake, the paper I wrote on leadership in order to become a Master's student at SNSPA, had Steve as a main topic. Not only that it was mind-blowing and life-changing to learn more about him, but it got me one of the highest grades of that generation.
It's always sad to think what things incredible people like him could do next, had they been given more time...
Take care,
Ioana

9 Oct 2011, 12:50 AM

That was a good choice for your paper—I would've write about the same topic.

And yes, it hit hard.

11 Oct 2011, 11:42 PM

Nice one, Adinel. Thanks for posting.