19 Jun 2009, 1:08 PM

Tags: , , , , ,

Romania Orange Romania: [no*] Push Notifications

From Orange Romania customer service: iPhone Push Notifications not active in Romanian Orange network, no date set for activation.

Lame.

Update: Push Notifications do work in Orange Romania (see comments). I was wrong, Orange CS representative was wrong and Twitter palls were wrong. What a clusterfuck.

*I'm so glad that I was wrong!

Comments

19 Jun 2009, 9:10 PM

gupi:

Wanna push email on iPhone ?

19 Jun 2009, 9:27 PM

Alin:

Are you sure about this? That is, have you actually tried an app that supports push notifications and it didn't work? I tried 'Hey where are you?' on orange ro and notifications worked ok. The app doesn't do anything special, there are probably a lot like it, but the push works.

Push notifications should really not depend on the carrier (unlike mms and tethering). They are a data service provided directly by Apple; Orange shouldn't be involved, they just need to provide the data connection. Also, Orange customer service are pretty clueless most of the time :)

19 Jun 2009, 10:11 PM

Alin:

Also tested now with 'Quick Pigeon'. Works fine. (pigeon sound included in notification :))

19 Jun 2009, 11:32 PM

Gupi, I use Apple's own MobileMe push mail and it works awesome.

Alin, I'm not 100% sure, frankly. Let's see—do you have a Notifications item in your Settings menu, right underneath Carrier? I don't.

20 Jun 2009, 9:37 AM

Alin:

Kit, install this and you should be able to see the Notifications settings item and also to test if it works for you. The settings item appears when you install the first app that uses notifications.

20 Jun 2009, 11:00 AM

Alin, QuickPigeon registered itself as a Push client — so it worked. Whoa, thank you for the tip!

I was experimenting with AP Mobile. Its version 3.0.1 is the poster boy of Push Notifications apps. And, nada. That's what confused me re service availability.

I'll say the "I'm so glad that I was wrong!" part only after I see this working. Do you mind helping me test this, please?

20 Jun 2009, 11:25 AM

Yes, it works perfectly. During tests, iPhone 3.0 issued sound and on-screen alert push notifications on behalf of Quick Pigeon while the application itself was not running. Thank you, Alin.

I'm so glad that I was wrong!

20 Jun 2009, 7:31 PM

gupi:

kit, I use an Axigen Mail Server and I do have a different Email Push - Mail Sync approach. Maybe after I come back from vacation, you would like to test it.

20 Jun 2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks, Gupi, I appreciate your offer. Sounds very cool.

25 Jun 2009, 7:12 PM

Vlad:

Hmm, i can't seem to recieve any updates via push... (neither Aim, Beejive, nor QuickPigeon work)

Are any of your iPhones jailbroken?

26 Jun 2009, 1:14 AM

No, my phone is not jail-broken. Is yours?

Did you get a Notifications menu in Settings after installing those apps? Did any of those apps request permission to receive notifications after installation?